WW1 in the Vosges mountains: discover the history of the first World War front between 1914 and 1918. Visit the most famous battle sites and listen to incredible stories.
In addition, during the day, we will also tell you some incredible stories that happened in Alsace and the Vosges mountains during the World War 1. You will even walk in the trenches!
If you like beautiful landscapes, nature, mountains and history, this great day out is made for you. You will learn why it was so hard to fight here and why this war was a disaster for the region.
Type of visit
Reserve your participation on the calendar.
Collective visit : you (and yours) join a group of 4 to 6 people. You are therefore given the opportunity, on the sidelines of the visit, to meet and discuss with other visitors to the region. The day of the outing is defined in advance.
Privatize the vehicle : whether you are alone, as a couple or in a small group (6 people max.), you can choose a private visit and thus have a guide for you alone! You can do this day-out, depending on availability, on the day of your choice
Departure from Riquewihr and Colmar
WW1 in the Vosges mountains – Program
- Departure Riquewihr at 08:30 sharp or Colmar 09:00. Details to reach the meeting point will be given after your booking is confirmed.
- Visit the Linge Memorial and battlefield. At this small site run by volunteers, you will get familiar with the daily life of the soldiers in the trenches. They had the heavy task of maintaining a front line located at more than 1100 meters above sea level, with extreme weather conditions in winter. After visiting the memorial, you will walk in the trenches by your own.
- Drive on the crest road (Route des Crêtes), a panoramic road which was built to supply the French troops who fought on the front of the Vosges.
- Lunch at a traditional mountain farm inn (ferme-auberge)
- Visit of the Hartmannswillerkopf memorial. This is a must for history buffs. During the First World War WW1, both enemy camps wanted to control this mountain overlooking the Upper Rhine valley. Result: a real massacre. 35 000 soldiers died on this front line between 1914 and 1918. The site features a very new museum built in collaboration between French and German.
- At the bottom of the battlefield, taste a wine from old vines planted just after WW1
- Back to Riquewihr around 19:30.
What is INCLUDED?
WW1 in the Vosges mountains
- Transportation in a confortable 8 seater minivan.
- Guidance and explanation during the day out
- Linge Memorial Battlefield and Museum Ticket
- Hartmanwsillerkopf Museum ticket
- Wine tasting
- Lunch and drinks at a typical mountain farm inn (expect EUR 25 / pers + drinks).
- All the extra things you could buy during the day (souvenirs, wine)
This is what our clients say about this guided tour …
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.
Post your own personal review
If you have participated in this experience be welcome to post your personal review here …
Other day tours for the summer and fall
- Day tour to the Vosges mountains and vineyard
- Black Forest and Kaiserstuhl vineyard in Germany
- Gems of the southern Alsace vineyards
Other useful links